Since damage to collectibles can affect their value, it is important to know how to properly store and display them so that they remain undamaged and in pristine condition. Here are some tips that may help you protect your valuable investment especially if you decide to sell them on consignment.
- Take out insurance on your collection: You have an insurance policy on your home and on your auto, thus it only makes sense to take out a policy on your collectables. An insurance policy will give you peace of mind in the event of a loss or if certain items are damaged. Therefore, purchase a policy for your collectibles and carefully review it to determine whether you have insurance that meets your needs.
- Have your sneakers authenticated and appraised: To help you decide whether you need additional coverage for your items, it may be helpful to have them appraised. You may also wish to do this to avoid receiving and purchasing counterfeit items which is not unheard of in the apparel industry.
- Create an inventory: Make a list of exactly which shoes you own. This will help you keep track of what you have as well as which shoes you will purchase in the future. It may even be a good idea to take pictures of your collection as a whole and each item in it. Finally, keeping records on your collectibles will come in handy should any item ever be stolen.
- Keep them in a climate controlled area: Make sure that your collection is not exposed to high humidity or to other environmental extremes. This could damage the items within it and devalue the shoes you do wish to sell.
- Consider purchasing an alarm: In order to further secure your collectables, you should consider installing an alarm in either your home and/or the area you will be storing your shoes. If you are very serious about your collection you may also wish to limit the people who have access to your shoes